Friday, March 30, 2012

Gluten-free Pumpkin Cornbread

Sometimes I just crave a good cornbread to go with some beans or, as last night, with some BBQ chicken and cole slaw.  I've been experimenting with Flaxseed meal flour and Coconut flour, so I decided to experiment by combining them with cornmeal to make a tasty cornbread.  Coconut flour and Flaxseed meal absorb quite a bit of liquid, so I played around until I got the right consisitency.  It's best to let the batter sit a few minutes to let the flours absorb what liquid they will.
I also have a passion for making things out of squash and pumpkin; I had a package of homegrown in the freezer, so I used that.  It may have been a little moister that canned, so adjust accordingly.
Bob's Red Mill makes Flaxseed Meal and Coconut Flour.  I also buy coconut products in bulk at Tropical Traditions
I wish I had added a bit of orange peel, as the leftover cornbread tasted quite a bit like Poppyseed Cake in the morning..



Pumpkin Cornbread
The Recipe:
Dry Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
Wet Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups pureed squash or pumpkin, use homemade or canned
4 eggs
4 Tbsp. Coconut Oil, melted (or butter or vegetable shortening)
4 Tbsp. Honey
A little almond milk if batter needs to be moistened

Grease an 8" x 8" pan with coconut oil or other shortening.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Bake for 35-45 minutes.  This recipe takes a little longer than regular cornbread as it is dense.  Test with a toothpick until it comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment