Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cheesy Kale Chips


These became my favorite snack when I recently bought a package from a friend.  I hoarded them in a little bag for a week before I finally finished them.  They were an antidote to between meal hunger pangs, and I wanted more.  I have lots of kale in my garden, and I can beg some from my son's in a pinch, so I decided to see if I could make them.

I found a fairly simple recipe; I even had all the ingredients on hand.  I do have a dehydrator, but I thought maybe I could make them in the oven instead, as the dehydrator takes up a lot of room.  I didn't want a spicy mixture on the leaves, but cayenne or other spicy spices can be added at will.






The Cheesy Kale Chips

4 cups Purple, Lacinato, or Red Russian kale, torn into bite-size pieces (stems removed) washed and spun dry.
1 cup cashews (soaked 1 hour)
1 red bell pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt salt

Blend all ingredients, except for the kale, in a food processor or high speed blender until smooth. In a separate bowl toss the kale in the "cheese" sauce and mix well to incorporate and coat all the leaves. Spread the kale evenly on a teflex sheet and dehydrate on 115 degrees for 16-20 hours, or until dry and crunchy. If using the oven method, preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. and bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 1 to 1/2 hours or until dry and crunchy. Fluff them up about half way through to make sure they get evenly dehydrated.

Easy easy easy.  Snack, crunch and enjoy.  These are really expensive in the shops and markets.


No comments:

Post a Comment