Sunday, December 14, 2008

Maggie in Albion


Steve and Skyler. It's a rather old picture, but I don't have all my pics on this laptop.
It took me about 15 minutes to create this blog; I already had a Google account, though. You can add comments, and the blogger can moderate the comments. In case there are ruffians, I guess.








The name of my blog; Read, Eat, Think, has nothing to do with the recent Julia Roberts movie.  A long time ago, when I was working in a coastal kitchen, I read an article on the Bay Wolf Restaurant in  Oakland, CA.  The quote from the chef was, "How did I get this job?  All I ever wanted to do was read, eat and think."  I identified with that sentiment, and I still do.

Ok, I changed the name.  I think it's cuter; I love the cookies; it was the first thing I learned to make in 7th Grade Home Ec, way back when. 

Here's Betty Crocker's Snickerdoodle recipe.  Cinnamon is now purported to help to regulate blood sugar.  An excellent reason to eat and consume these treats.  These actually do work better with part shortening.  There is a nice organic, non-trans fat shortening by Spectrum Naturals available these days. 

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


1. Heat oven to 400ºF.
2. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening and eggs in large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
3. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

These rich cinnamon-sugar cookies make a great gift! Place a bag of them in a small basket along with packets of cappuccino or hot chocolate mix.



4 comments:

  1. Maggie, I'm trying to figure out how to blog so am on your site....VIV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, we are now official! Your blog is better than mine, but hey, anyone reading this should join our blogs,eventually they will be full of very interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone reading this blog....you MUSt join, Maggie is a very interesting person. Maggie, how about posting some new photos of the grands! Or does that become public domain? You can erase anything I write, I won't feel badly, I'm just experimenting really. Happy Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maggie, neither of our blogs is taking off, I'm still trying to figure it out....thought I'd comment, at least I won't be too rusty. VIV

    ReplyDelete